February 25, 2011

Why Are You So Shy in the Locker Room

I am not a citizen. I have live here US for three years. I have experience many cultural differences between my country and US for that time. Sometimes I can't understand the differences, but I used to try to do so as the Americans do.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

Recently, I starts learning to swim. There are some differences cultures or habits in swimming pool as well. For example, in my country men, even beginners, usually wear deltoid swimming suits as competitors do. But I haven't seen anyone wearing that kind of swimming suit here.


I understood and I bought another swimming suit.

But I still try to  understand the situation of the locker room. After shower or before swimming, we change into swimming suit or normal clothes. We should become naked. Everyone take off their shirts, pants, shoes and socks. No problem.

It's happened when taking off the underpants or swimming suits. (Oh. I am a male) Before taking off it, they - usually young men- wrap a towel around their waist. Then, they try to drop down their boxer shorts or swimming suits very carefully. Then, swimming suits or boxers go inside the towel and, finally, the towels are removed from their waist.

Why are they so shy in the locker room? Is it a kind of etiquette? 

I know there is no public spa system Eastern Asia countries have. I am not saying why they don't enjoy public spa. I just wonder why they hide theirs when changing underpants.

According to my observation, as people get older, they have freedom for taking off their underpants. I think 20's, especially, freshmen an sophomores are very shy for doing the work.

Wrapping towels and changing swimming suits. It's time-consuming and very inconvenient. Could you explain about it? Of course, I warp the towel around my waist. When in Rome, do as Romans do!

I want to say and post it on the locker room:
   Don't be shy! I am not interested in yours at all. Trust me. 






*My writing is not good. I do my efforts to to improve my writing skill. Any comments are always welcome! *