February 28, 2011

I drove almost 10 years in my country, South Korea. And here, I have new driving habits that Pittsburghers do and I love it.

First of all, yielding to others, ambulances, of course pedestrians. In intersections, it's not hard to see yielding drivers to who turns left in opposite side. Someone may say it's nonsense and they are stuffy. However, it just take one or two seconds and hey don't make severe delay. It makes feeling good.

Moreover, people go easy when they grab the handle. Drivers do over-speed, but it doesn't seem to be danger. And, I think distance between cars is far enough to stop properly in emergency situation. I know that not few numbers of traffic accidents occur everyday, but it's kind of unavoidable as long as we give up to use the cars.

In my country, driving is like a racing and competition. Yielding habit is usually nonsense, when you drive. When you cut in front of any car, you will hear sounds of klaxon couple of times. Even though you are done successfully, you should get it more and take beams that the driver behind you shoots.

Traffic rules in Korea are similar, but there are some differences, of course. Major one I think is turning rules. I mean left, right and U turn. In South Korea, there isn't 'No Turn On' sign. In there, you can turn right any time. Of course when other cars and pedestrians do not interrupt you. So you don't need to stop, when you make a right.

U-turn, I've never seen the 'U-turn sign' here. Instead, I remember that I've seen the 'no U-turn sign' several times. I am not sure that it's legal to make a U-turn in intersections that don't have 'no U-turn sign'. In Korea, we have lots of 'U-turn' and 'No U-turn' signs. It's somewhat clear.

Left turn is also different. In US (or Pittsburgh?), left turn signals are only seen on the wide load or loads which have much traffic for left turn. We usually make a left when the signal is green and it's safe from cars in opposite side. We say 'turn left at intersection with no left turn signal' or 'turn left at your own risk'. In Korea, intersections usually have the  left-turn signal. So drivers should makes lefts when the left-turn signal is on. In an intersection which doesn't have left-turn signal, you can see 'not-protected' sign for left-turn.



I've driven for three years in Pittsburgh. by the way, I still have a question. Can I make a right in intersections when the right-turn signal is red? There is only a 'right turn signal', no 'No Turn On Red' sign. I am still confusing. In my though, I must not make a right, because the right-turn signal says 'No!". But sometimes, when I stop in the intersection, the driver behind me pushes me 'go right now!'.

Am I wrong?

*My writing is not good. I do my efforts to to improve my writing skill. Any comments are always welcome! *